Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Madelyn has been counting down the days for her first day of Kindergarten! She was excited to wear her school t-shirt that we bought at open house. The Kindergartners were able to bring a stuffed animal to class. After much consideration, she chose her dragon Happy Napper. Jon took her to school. She had a half day, only going in the morning. Full days will begin on Monday. Madelyn was perturbed when I picked her up from school. Apparently, a "bad boy" in her class got a Tiger Buck (school money) & she did not. I don't know what went down or why the "bad boy" got money & she did not. When asked why this boy was bad, Madelyn said he didn't use his manors nor raised his hand. Madelyn is very competitive. I hope that she will find joy in school & most of all, get a Tiger Buck of her own.
I am excited about Madelyn's teacher. She sent home a sweet poem (sniff, sniff)...

The First Day
I gave you a little wink and smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with her for five years now
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave her at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love her as I would my own
And help her learn and grow.
For as a teacher, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
Just know that I will protect her
While she's in my class.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love her and take her in
When you leave her at my door.

2 comments:

happymomof4 said...

WOW! Well that poem made me cry! What a sweet poem. Glad that Madelyn was excited about school. I hope she enjoys school and has a great school year:) Our girls are growing up so fast!

Margaret said...

How sweet of her teacher to give you that. She is young and I'm sure very motivated and excited about teaching. Congrats Madelyn, I can't believe your in kindergarten.